• 1 1/4 pounds sirloin steak
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, smashed
• 1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
• 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow), sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 4 jarred pepperoncini, drained and thinly sliced
• 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• Pinch of red pepper flakes
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsle
• Bread, for serving (optional)
1) Sprinkle the steak all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and sear until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add the garlic to the skillet. Once it sizzles, add the onion and bellpeppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften slightly, about 4 minutes. Add the pepperoncini, tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and 3/4 cup water and stir to combine. Bring to a rapid simmer, then nestle the steak in the sauce and simmer, turning once, until medium rare, about 7 minutes.
2) Transfer the steak to a cuting board and let rest about 5 minutes. Continue simmering the sauce until thickened, about 3 more minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and divide among plates. Top with the sauce and parsley. Serve with focaccia.